Thursday, April 14, 2005

Dan Wollmering


Dan Wollmering, originally uploaded by labate.

Dr Dan Wollmering is a Lecturer in Sculpture at Monash uni.

How far can we remove sculpture from a designed object?
How does it connect?
Does the difference lie in its function?
If we gave one of his sculptures a function (a seat, a table) would it cease to be art and become design??

10 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

honestly, my visceral reaction is this guys stuff belongs in vogue interiors or something. it doesn't look like art should with it's wishy washy pastel hues, and feminine shapes. which in itself is interesting i guess.

5:13 AM  
Blogger Britt said...

I you have a design then take away its function, does it remain a designed product or sculpture?
I.e What is the point of a product that doesn't do what it is supposed/designed to do?

3:54 PM  
Blogger Cernunnos said...

You know, normally I don't really care about this stuff, it doesn't do anything, it's just there. But this one was different. Why I hear you say. Well, before I even looked exactly at what this guy was doing I saw the word Monash, god damn you you Monash bastards. I went to the bloody interview in woop woop, stuck around for an hour or two. I walk into this room, talked to these two guys. One guy, the guy to my left, was typing shit on this laptop, the other guy was looking very interested in the shit I brought. I applied for indutrial design and industrial design/mechanical engineering. Why the fuck I wanted to do engineering is beyond me. So yeah, it all goes well, the guy, not the one on the computer, walks me to the door, I shake his hand and he says "You'll be hearing from us soon!" as he opens the door for me to leave. A little while later I get a fucking C letter for ID and a B letter for the other one. Why the fuck would they want me in the harder one and not the easier one? Get fucked Monash.

10:31 PM  
Blogger Cernunnos said...

There's just something so gay about the people from Monash. All wearing black, acting like they're too good to be photographed. They've all got to get someone who knows what constitutes a gay pose, including the dean. I'll post a pic if I can find it.

12:39 AM  
Blogger Luca said...

Don't buy into that whole competitive us vs them shit just because you got stuck with a couple of wankers.

My interview with Monash was also shit. I walked in with a scale model of a foldable scooter. Not to sound to full of myself it was a pretty damn good design for a 17 yr old. What I got was questions like "don't you think that front wheels a bit small" or "why didn't you make a working prototype?"

Yeah right cockhead in between writing my 10 SACS a day I'm just going to whip off to the workshop and instantly develop an understanding of bike mechanics. I hope that dick remembered it when it was exhibited in top designs the next year.

But I have no bitterness towards monash as a whole. I just despise wanker "designers".

I got the same treatment at my interview at RMIT graphic design.

You deal with wankers everywhere, especially at a Uni

2:11 AM  
Blogger Cernunnos said...

Agreed. You show those wankers though, I bet they've never done anything worth exhibiting, they just diss everyone else's stuff to make themselves feel like big shots. But yeah, there are a lot of wankers in Uni, and there are plenty in ID.

3:31 AM  
Blogger Luca said...

I really think it is all about attitude.

Criticism is an amazing tool to bring out the best work in you but I can't accept criticism from someone I have no respect for.

Alot of people don't give you the chance, They are instantly competitive and critical for the sake of hearing their own voice.

I can't believe shit talking is so highly rated in our course. It depresses me everytime I hear it

6:49 AM  
Blogger Cernunnos said...

I agree, normally most of whatever studio teacher we've got I'll say "yeah, ok" to whatever bad things they say I've done in my folio or whatever because you know, they're teachers, it's their fucking job. But it's starting to piss me off, especially now that I'm realising that they're all a pack of wankers. Not that they're wankers all of the time, but just while they're teaching us, generally, at least that's what I think. But they're not teachers, they're just an obstacle in our path to professionalism (like I want to be there), we're teaching each other, they're making us stupider.

8:02 AM  
Blogger Britt said...

At least you didn't have an intervier sit there and start to rip off one of your designs... Fuck you RMIT fine arts gold and silver smithing.

ARGH! It still really bugs me, But I do feel better after hearing that other people had crappy interview experiences.

2:45 AM  
Blogger Luca said...

"We're teaching eachother".
Thats really profound man.Especially after the chaos in studio today.

They're trying to scare us
Don't buy into it!

Fair enough if you are critical of people that do no work or have not thought their ideas out but I felt that alot of the criticisms were over the top, especially towards those that put the effort in.

Taking themselves way too seriosly.

3:04 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home