Back to life

I've recently started lifedrawing again. I thought this was as good a time as any to dig up some old drawings from highschool (These are from yr 11)
I really missed doing it so I had my first lesson last wednesday and it was great. There was no bullshit about construction lines and not a marker in sight.
I really didn't enjoy drawing last year. Maybe its the art side of me but I hated the idea that everyones work had to look the same and it had to look like a CAD blueprint.
So what if my lines were a little messy.
Thats why I think sketchy details is a bullshit class. If you want to learn how to sketch don't copy other peoples style. . We should have a fine art elective available (There probably is one already). From the work I've seen that class is really inferior. Everything is so linear. Where is the mixed media stuff? Why don't we have a sculpture elective?
Time is no excuse. At the community arts centre where I do my course you end up with at least 7 or 8 drawings in a 4 hr session. 2 of these are often mixed media (maybe mixing paint as a background and then pastel once its dried). The longest I'd spend would be 45 minutes. And this is at a tiny little community centre with many people who have only started drawing again a few weeks before.
Obviously I'm really passionate about this but figuratie drawing (or any form of art) is as important to a designer as CAD. The drawing class in first year was such a waste of time it gives me a head ache just thinking about it.
But all is not lost...Sit with a fat peice of charcoal and make heaps of mess on butcher paper. It will set you free

3 Comments:
That's fucking cool. I wish I didn't draw like a retard. Yeah, I don't think we should spend all our time doing uni work and nothing else that's creative for no fucking reason. It'll drive you insane, so I'm just going to all of this shit that I like doing or have never done before and cram studio and studies and all that shit in between.
"life is what happens while your busy making other plans"
- John Lennon
Hell yeah buy a canvas.
But the most important thing is that wahtever you paint has to be for yourself - Not to sell, Not for marks at uni.
Sorry if thats sounds a bit obvious but I remember back in highschool (and even at uni sometimes) I was doing work because I thought it was what the teacher expected or that the style would get me noticed. Looking back now I really regret that.
Post a Comment
<< Home