Monday, April 18, 2005

So what next???


r mutt, originally uploaded by labate.

My basic intent in criticising conceptual art is to bring out what people truley value in art.

Personally I feel that great artwork has a much deeper emotional impact then shock art/conceptual art.

Each time you return to it there should be new meanings/ideas that you might not have seen.

Marcel Duchamp's urinal basically started it all. It was an incredibly profound statement.

I actually read somewhere that he or another dada artist set up an axe next to his work inviting people to break it if they wished (It was never broken)

ART IS STUCK IN 1917!!!!!!!!!!

The fundemental idea hasn't changed only the boundaries of taste (corpses/frozen heads/dead sharks)

What is amazing is that Duchamp hated "art society" and the act of putting a urinal in an exhibit was an attempt to destroy it.

Now we embrace it,The very society he was fighting against. We pay 12 Million dollars for it!!!!!*

Where is the Innovation. Where are the amazing artists?

Why are they getting lost behind dead cows and unmade beds???

*Damian Hirsts Pickled Shark cost $12 Million

4 Comments:

Blogger Cernunnos said...

Yeah, I know Duchamp's urinal was fundamental art-wise, whatever, but I'm starting to get sick of it.

3:22 PM  
Blogger Luca said...

Your sick of it because its the same theme repeated over and over.

- Out of context objects

- Art created to offend

Sound Familiar

2:52 AM  
Blogger Cernunnos said...

Nah, it's because it's always brought up again and again; it's kind of lost its' meaning to me.

7:14 AM  
Blogger Luca said...

Let me clear things up a little:

I'm not saying that conceptual art isn't "art".

What I am trying to do is show that it has had its day. It's stale.

It overshadows some incredible work (like the poercelein gun), Because it supposed to be "cutting edge".

It was cutting edge in 1917

8:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home